Vegetarian Creamed Spinach
The original title for this dish was ‘Thai-Inspired Creamed Spinach‘, but it doesn’t just taste Thai but Indian as well. Most creamed spinach dishes use diary, but this is a healthy alternative to those who are trying to limit their dairy intake, or are vegetarian or vegan.
We’e been experimenting lately on what can be done with coconut milk. In Thailand, coconut milk is found in a variety of dishes and beverages. We use it for cooking all the time and prefer it to dairy products. This Vegetarian Creamed Spinach took only about 15 minutes to make, Even quicker if you have a food processor to chop all your ingredients for you!
What makes it Thai-Inspired? The ingredients used are coconut milk, ginger, Thai chili, and lemongrass. However all of those are optional except for the coconut milk.
What You Need
Spinach – as much as necessary for your amount of people, remembering that spinach cooks down to practically nothing
Onion – amount depends on your preference
Garlic – amount depends on your preference
Ginger (optional) – about 1 teaspoon diced
Coconut Milk – about 1 cup for 2 cups chopped cooked spinach
Lemongrass powder (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. Chop onion, garlic, and ginger into small pieces.
2. Wash and chop spinach.
3. Using coconut oil, saute the onions until translucent, putting the garlic and ginger in about half way through.
4. Add spinach and stir.
5. When spinach is nearly cooked down, add coconut milk, the amount depends on how creamy you want your dish to be.
6. Add spices, such as lemongrass powder, ginger powder, salt, pepper, chili, etc.
7. Cook all together for just a few minutes then remove from heat.
8. Serve alone, or over rice, quinoa, or pasta.