Simple Homemade Gnocchi’s with Rosemary Bleu Cheese Sauce
Who knew making gnocchi’s were so simple? Gnocchi’s have always been one of my favorite “pasta” dishes. It wasn’t until recently that Dan decided to attempt making them himself. To our surprise, they were not as difficult as we had always thought. It does take a bit of patience however! Our version is a mixture of potato and sweet potato, served with a rosemary cream sauce. This recipe makes about 6 large servings.
What You Need For Gnocchi’s:
2 Medium Potatoes
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes – We used a white sweet potato, but you could also use a purple or orange sweet potato.
Flour – You could use a flour of your choice. Depending on the type of flour it may affect the texture or consistency of the gnocchi’s. We used regular flour, but you could opt for healthier or gluten-free options if you prefer.
2 Egg yolks
Salt and Pepper
Optional :Any additional seasonings that you want
What You Need For Rosemary Bleu Cheese Sauce:
1/2 stick Butter
1/4 cup Crumbly Bleu Cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
2 Medium Red Shallots
Salt and Pepper
2-5 cloves Fresh Garlic
1 1/2 cup Cooking Cream
1/4 cup White wine or broth
1 Tbsp Flour
1/4 cup water
Optional: Sage, Red Pepper, Wild Mushrooms
Directions for Homemade Gnocchi’s:
1. Clean and peel potatoes
2. Chop potatoes into small chunks. Make sure to keep the sweet potato separate from the regular potato.
3. Boil the potatoes separately, otherwise they will not evenly cook (they have different boiling times).
4. Drain and cool.
5. When they have reached room temperature, mash the sweet potatoes and regular potatoes together. Make sure to eliminate any chunks.
6.Add salt and pepper. Add any other seasonings you want. Make sure to season it well!
7. Cover your hands with flour. Slowly mix flour into the mashed potato mixture. Add the flour little by little until you reach a dough texture. Dough should stick together well, but not be too dense. Only a small amount of flour is really necessary.
8. Add 2 egg yolks (beaten) and knead well. Add a little flour if necessary.
9. Test your dough – boil water and drop in a small chunk of your dough and cook it until if floats. The dough should not fall apart. Taste it – if the texture and taste is satisfactory for you then do not add more flour. If it is not satisfactory – continue to add a little more flour into your dough and re-test again as necessary.
10. Take your dough and cover the outside with flour. Roll the dough into snakes and chop into gnocchi sized pieces (about 1 inch or so in length)
11. Put the gnocchi pieces into the boiling water. Cook until they float. Drain. Pour a little cold water over them to stop them from overcooking.
12. Now make the sauce and your finished!
Optional: Add some veggies to your dish!
Rosemary Bleu Cheese Sauce Directions
1. Chop shallots and garlic and saute with butter in a cooking pot
2. Add salt and pepper to taste
3. Add 1 Tbsp of flour and stir
4. Add the white wine or broth and deglaze
5. Add cooking cream
6. Salt and pepper again
7. Reduce for little while
8. Add both of the cheeses
9. Cook down for a bit – if its too thick, add water or broth
10. Pour over Gnocchi’s and serve!