Roasted Garlic Pico de Gallo
Mexican is one of my top 3 favorite cuisines. I can never have too much salsa. I can however, have too many chips. I don’t even necessarily want the chips, I just want to eat the salsa, and nothing goes better with salsa than chips. Obviously making your own healthy chips would be ideal, but we don’t always have time for that. It is super fast however, to slice up vegetables and use those in place of chips. This recipe is paired with zucchini slices, but you can use whatever vegetables you want.
A healthy Pico de Gallo, or fresh salsa, is actually pretty easy to find in the store (it’s also easy to find unhealthy brands too – full of preservatives or high in sodium). You can find organic brands that have only the best ingredients, with little to no preservatives. What’s even easier than searching for the healthiest salsa in the store though, is simply making your own. It takes no more than 10 minutes, and you can make a batch large enough to last you a week. This way you can be confident in all the ingredients.
In this quick-n-easy recipe, you can make your own pico de gallo and pair that with healthy zucchini slices. Now you can eat as much salsa as you want and not feel guilty about all those chips.
What You Need:
1. Tomatoes (organic if possible): Use the general rule, 2 parts tomato to 1 part onion, depending on how much you want to make.
2. Green onion, Red onion and/or white onion : follow the rule above
3. Peppers – green, yellow, red, orange, or all — peppers are optional
4. Fresh Garlic
5. Fresh Cilantro
6. Coconut Oil (if you want to roast your garlic)
7. Fresh cracked black pepper
8. Sea salt
9. Jalapenos (leave the seeds to make it super hot, remove the seeds to make it less hot) – again, these are optional and the amount is whatever you prefer
10. Fresh lime (cut it into quarters. Squeeze a quarter in, taste it, then add more if you want)
11. Optional: dried oregano, cumin powder, and paprika powder
– Note: You can play around with ingredients, be creative, add whatever you think will be delicious!
Directions for Roasted Garlic Pico de Gallo:
1. Dice tomatoes, onions, green onions, and peppers
2. Chop garlic — you can leave the garlic raw if you want, or you can roast it first like we did. To do this just take a pan and heat a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, and gently fry the garlic.
3. Add the tomatoes, onions, and peppers to the raw garlic, or if you roasted the garlic, add everything to the garlic and oil. Mix thoroughly.
4. Chop jalapenos if you’re adding them and toss them into the mixture.
5. Chop fresh cilantro, again the amount is up to your personal taste. Add this to the mixture.
6. Add sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Taste.
7. Add dried oregano, cumin powder, and/or paprika powder if you chose to use them
8. Squeeze lime while mixing to your taste buds are happy.
9. Let your mixture sit in the fridge for awhile to let all the flavors soak in together.
10. Cut zucchini slices (or whatever you want to use) and serve!