Improve Digestion with Three Bean Salad
I call it the ‘Three Bean Salad’, but really it can be however many beans you choose. I typically use chickpeas, kidney beans, and either white beans, black beans, lima beans, or all together.
If you like to plan your week ahead by meal prepping (which I highly recommend – reduces your cravings for junk foods when you have meals already prepared) then this is a perfect dish for you. I make some variety of this dish nearly every Sunday, and bring it for lunch almost every day Monday through Friday. A bean dish offers you high quality protein and fiber, and with a variety of vegetables and herbs of different colors you’ll create a perfectly balanced, nutritious dish.
What You Need
About 6 cups of a Variety of Beans – Either canned or preferably, dried (you will have to soak them overnight, cook them, and then allow to cook – but obviously the healthier option) Choose either chickpea, black bean, kidney bean, lima bean, black eyed peas, white beans, etc.
1 Pepper – Red, Green, Yellow, Orange, or a mixture of all
2 Medium Tomatoes
Other Vegetable Options – Corn, Carrots, Red Cabbage, Peas, Cauliflower, Broccoli, etc. Any vegetable that you want to add is fine.
6 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup chopped Spring Onions
1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt and Pepper
Juice from 1 Lime or Lemon
Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
1. Clean and rinse beans and put into large bowl.
2. Chop all vegetables and herbs into small chunks.
3. Preferably, saute onions and garlic for a few minutes in Olive oil to reduce the strong flavor of having them raw – but if time is limited raw is fine too.
4. Mix beans and vegetables together.
5. In a separate bowl, add roughly 1/2 cup of Olive oil. Mix in salt, pepper, and cumin to your taste. Mix in lime or lemon juice. Add a teaspoon of balsamic if you want, and mix together thoroughly.
6. Slowly pour liquid mixture into bean and vegetable bowl, stirring frequently.
7. Taste dish and adjust seasoning accordingly.
8. Serve! Stays fresh in sealed container about 5 to 6 days in the fridge.
Below are some examples of different varieties.