How To Make Healthy Chips
How to Make Healthy Chips
Everyone loves to snack on chips. Unfortunately, potato chips and most other types of chips are not healthy for you. Fried in unhealthy oils and full of random preservatives and other ingredients that you can’t even pronounce.
I want to show you how to make healthy chips at home, using sweet potatoes, kale, and even beets! Super healthy for you and delicious! It takes hardly any time at all to make yourself homemade chips. Great idea for parties or just lounging around the house.
What You Need:
1. Either sweet potatoes, kale, or beets
2. Oil – I like to use olive oil or grapeseed oil for my kale and beet chips, but coconut oil for my sweet potato chips.
3. Any seasoning toppings that you prefer. This can range from salt, pepper, ginger powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, chili powder, hot pepper, basil, cilantro, oregano, etc. etc. etc.
1. Wash your beets, sweet potatoes, or kale thoroughly. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the kale roughly into 2″ square pieces. Slice the beets or sweet potatoes with a sharp knife. You don’t have to peel them first. You don’t want to cut them super thick, but not super thin either or they will burn faster.
3. Put your chips in a large bowl, and rub them with the oil you chose. Add the seasonings of your choice! When I make Kale chips I like to use salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. When I make Beet Chips I usually just use salt and pepper. When I make Sweet Potato Chips I like to use cumin, salt and pepper, ginger and garlic powder, basil, oregano, and sometimes onion powder.
4. Get a baking pan and if you have a wire cookie sheet, put that on top. I think the wire cookie sheet it essential for cooking the chips evenly, and also for giving it that ripple look. If you don’t have a wire sheet, then make sure to oil the pan before putting your chips on top. Spread your chips evenly apart on the wire sheet or pan and stick it in the oven.
5. Check your chips often. Kale Chips only need about 8-10 minutes, Sweet Potato Chips about 20-25 minutes, and Beet Chips about 30-35 minutes. You most likely have different sized chips, so some of your chips may cook faster than others, and you may need to pull those out earlier. Flip your chips as well to cook them more evenly. You’ll be fine if you pay attention (Don’t leave them for 20 minutes and go watch TV).
6. When their done, pull them out and enjoy!
7. The only problem with homemade chips is they should probably eaten within a few hours. Once their cold they are not as delicious. I have never tried to reheat them either.
Do you have a better homemade chip recipe? Do you have better techniques? Please feel free to leave comments/ideas!