We first tried Egyptian Duqqah (or Dukkah) on our trip to the island of Koh Lanta in Thailand. Duqqah is a unique blend of nuts and seeds, with dried herbs and spices. This dish is incredibly simple, with just a few ingredients. You will be amazed at how much flavor it packs together.
Traditionally Duqqah is served with bread or vegetables. For the healthiest option, use some fresh vegetables. Whole grain or homemade bread is probably the most popular choice however. It’s a perfect dish to bring as an appetizer for a party, or take on a picnic. It would take you virtually no time to prepare and is easy to transport.
Nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, and healthy oils are all nutrient dense foods. Incorporate them as much as you can, daily if possible, into your diet.
- What You Need:
- Spice grinder
- Any and all types of nuts, seeds, and spices can be included– it’s your choice: cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts,
sesame seeds , sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax, chia seeds, coriander seeds, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, cumin, ground cardamon, ground cloves, fresh ground pepper, sea salt, dried mint, dried thyme, dried parsley, ground cinnamon, ground turmeric, etc.
- Note: Play around with the different ingredients, you may prefer some flavors together over others. You might want to use a larger portion of nuts and seeds to spices. Ideally you want all the flavors to work well together, not have one flavor that overpowers all the others.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dipping options: cut fresh vegetables or wholegrain bread
- If your using raw nuts and seeds, it would intensify the flavor to toast them first. To do this; Set the oven to 400 degrees, lay the nuts and seeds evenly on a baking pan, and toast for 10 minutes. Do not burn!! Another option is to toast them on a frying pan, using no oils at all, until lightly golden. Lay them out to cool afterwards. (If you’re using already roasted nuts and seeds – don’t do this a second time)
- Take all your ingredients that you choose (nuts, seeds, spices, dried herbs) and place them into a spice grinder and grind into small pieces. You don’t need to grind them into powders.
- Take out a small dish and pour your unique blend into it.
- Take out another small dish and pour extra virgin olive oil into that
- Chops your vegetables for serving, or slice your bread.
- How to eat it : Take a vegetable or piece of bread, dip it into the olive oil, and dip it into the Duqqah blend