Cream sauces match perfectly with a lot of different dishes. However, cream sauces are not usually a healthy option. Typically they contain a lot of heavy cream, unhealthy oils, and cheese.
This recipe is for a cashew cream sauce, which offers a healthy alternative packed full of flavor. Cashews contain a lot of healthy fat, mostly monounsaturated fats, and surprisingly quite a bit of protein. They are also high in fiber, potassium, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6.
Cashew sauce is good on top of stir-fried veggies, pasta, chicken, fish, potatoes, raw veggies, base for a casserole, or even in place of a gravy.
This recipe makes about 1 cup of cashew sauce. Simply double or triple the recipe to make more.
What You Need:
1/2 cup of raw cashews
1/2 cup of coconut milk
3 cloves of garlic
1-2 Tbsp’s of diced shallots
1-2 Tbsp’s flour for thickening (flour of your choice: regular, almond, coconut, etc.)
Sea Salt and Cracked Fresh Black Pepper
Coconut oil for sautéing
Optional: 1 Tbsp of Nutritional Yeast (for a cheese flavor)
1. Boil the cashews until soft (15-20 minutes)
2. Chop the garlic and shallots and sauté in coconut oil until soft
3. Place the cashews, garlic, shallots, coconut milk, salt and pepper into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
4. Pour mixture into small pot and cook again over medium heat. Add flour to thicken sauce. Taste , add more salt or pepper if necessary.
5. Add nutritional yeast (optional) for a cheesy flavor. Serve.
Featured Photo: Grilled Asparagus with Thai Wild Ginger and Creamy Cashew Sauce